December 16, 2016

Mary Turns Three

Leading up to her birthday she would tell you that she was turning six, but she did in fact turn three today, as hard as it was for all of us (herself included) to believe. 

This year brought many changes for our little girl. It's sometimes hard to remember she saw a speech therapist for a short while as she is so articulate and chatty these days. She has no problem telling you what's on her mind and what she wants, logic and reasoning be damned!

She's still our meatball - about the height of most two year olds - and still sports a delicious little belly that I hope sticks around a bit longer. Her once near black hair is light brown with some near blonde highlights that accentuate her soft curls.

She tells Finn she loves him each night before bed and loves to play with whatever he is playing with, but also thrives on her individual time when he is at school and often likes to pick a fight with him, usually by simply disagreeing with whatever he is saying, much to his chagrin.

She's shy at first when meeting new people, but warms up quickly and has great manners (much better than her brother it seems!). She is very caring and concerned when someone isn't feeling well or is hurt. Finn had his first ear infection last week and she came up to him to just gently rub his head and tell him it was ok. Or if you say "oww" in her presence she will quickly run over to get boo-boo bunny for you or come give you a kiss and then tell you it's all better.

When she is sassy though she does it justice. She can throw a fit like nobody's business and during her moments will tell me "I don't want daddy/Finn/Big Mike to talk to me" when someone has the audacity to want to speak to her when she's not in the mood.

Mary loves to sing and enjoys music time at the local library, but when Miles and I sing her random songs she will often tell us, "stop it! That hurts my ears!" She refers to herself in the third person which is all kinds of adorable.

She tells me she misses Roscoe and the other day asked me where our house was and I responded, "this is our house, honey" to which she said, "no, our house is in SaBANnah!" She seems to have a great memory as she talks about a lot from Savannah still - a pool we went to five months ago, her friends there, and even the rental truck we had before moving.

She sleeps in a double bed now, the crib a thing of the past, and if she wakes up in the middle of the night will ask you to "please snuggle with me" which I'm likely to give in to because it's just so sweet.

She loves books and being read to, loves animals, and is obsessed with Paw Patrol. When asked what she wanted for her birthday her answer simply was, "a cake" because she's the best (though she got some presents as well).

It's hard to believe that it's already been three years and it's hard to believe that it's only been three years with this delightfully wonderful little girl.









................................................................................................

5 comments:

  1. I'm so thankful she's yours. And that we got to know her this spring. xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. That third picture has her looking SO much like Miles! I love Mary. I'm so happy you have her. I remember meeting you for the first time, at my house, and you divulging the news of this sweet girl in your belly.

    Claire has an uncanny memory (but no one has a better memory than Benjamin). She talks about Chicago like Mary talks about SaBANah. It's adorable and fun to know what they pick up and remember. We've already been living in Reno for 1/6 of Claire's life.

    I'm so happy she's so articulate and chatty. Can you post more videos of her? I feel so far from you guys now and I want to see/hear more of the Hilalgo fam. Love you guys and I really hope Mary moves back to the US with a bit of a British accent!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hidalgo. I really CAN spell your last name. Oof.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Such a heartwarming portrait of your sweet and feisty little love. I hope her sharp memory continues to capture all your wonderful adventures in your new home!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I LOVE this girl. Piper also thinks she's six. weirdos. ;)

    three years has gone so quickly from when Miles did pushups with you on his back. seriously, so fast.

    ReplyDelete