July 24, 2016

Summer 2016: California

We spent the 4th of July out in California this year. I have the greatest sister in the world who cashed in her sky miles to fly me and the kids out from Georgia to California. Miles flew out from Virginia a day later as he's (still) in a course there. My parents drove from Arizona and my brother and sister-in-law came out from Colorado. So my whole side of the family was together for a few days in San Diego and it was really great to all be together again - I legitimately can't remember the last time my whole family was together and this very likely will be the last time I see my side of the family before our move to England in a couple months.

I was a little worried about flying coast to coast with two little ones by myself, but the kids did great on the flights out to California (we had a short layover in Atlanta, then a direct flight from Atlanta to San Diego). I think it helped a lot bringing Mary's seat on the plane. She took a nap at one point and I was able to read and watch a movie on the flight - it was awesome! The flight back was great on the flight, but the layover was a little rough with some fits, messes, delays, etc.




While in California we got in some beach time and I tried surfing for the first time in my life and actually stood up twice! Sweet Finn was so excited to go surfing (meaning for him to be held up on a board), but when the waves pushed him a little harder than he was prepared for he got really frustrated. "I just don't know what to do!!" he shouted. Poor buddy, we'll stick to boogie boarding for now.








The kids had a blast on the 4th - further reaffirming it's my favorite holiday!






And we just really enjoyed the time with family, hoping we get to see them all again sooner rather than later.







And then my heart exploded

................................................................................................

3 comments:

  1. Surfing is so tough! I learned in San Diego and then have tried in Hawaii and Australia too.

    Sounds like a wonderful trip!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such cute pictures, especially that last one.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ahhhhh. I love this. That last picture of those two nuggets sleeping together melted me into a pile over here, even super late. Amazed at Finn's ambition and your ability to stand twice! I'm the SoCal native who doesn't surf. Like even a little.

    And Eegees!! YUM.

    ReplyDelete