February 18, 2013

Arts, Crafts, and other Nostalgia

During my last trip out to Arizona (where my parents live) I brought back some tupperware full of many childhood artifacts my mom had saved. Lots, and I mean LOTS, of things were promptly thrown out that my mom, bless her heart, probably didn't have the heart to do. Like a "scrapbook" of mementos I held to - such as a salt packet and straw wrapper from the Hard Rock Cafe I went to in San Diego. Or my 4th grade ice skating binder which was filled with newspaper articles and clippings related to Nancy Kerrigan or the '94 Winter Olympics. I wanted to be an ice skater when I grew up. We didn't even get an indoor ice rink until I was in middle school and by then it was too late . . . my Olympic dreams would never come to fruition. So sad.

But my mom did hang on to some stuff that I will keep, and that gave me a good laugh as I went through it. It reminded me of some of the cute things we have from Miles' childhood and I thought I'd share some of my favorites.

Just to highlight how obsessed I was with ice skating, here is the "About the Author" section of the book I wrote in third grade titled Learning on Ice. In it, my family moved to Colorado Springs and I took ice skating lessons (from Nancy Kerrigan, of course) and within three days I was able to do a triple axel. I'm a quick learner, what can I say?


My mom also saved some of my ribbons from summer swim team which makes me wonder just how many lanes that pool had. I'm guessing 13. Ironically I was in the advanced swimming class my freshman year at West Point.


And this cute note my mom wrote me when I was upset about not making the National Junior Honor Society one semester in 7th grade.


Five year old Caroline. We have a nearly identical picture of my mom about the same age with a similar outfit  and ribbon.


Now on to Miles. I saved a few of the writing assignments his mom gave us from when he would get in trouble (think Bart Simpson in the beginning credits of the Simpsons). I think I may bring this back. His first one would be something along the lines of, "I will volunteer to change more poopy diapers."


Not sure what year this was drawn, but Miles' portrayal of a Dragon going to the dentist.


This self portrait could not be more adorable. I especially love the wallpaper he chose for the background.


Cute note from Miles' dad. I like that he had to remind Miles that smart kids don't call things stupid.


 And last, but not least, adorable little Miles.


................................................................................................

9 comments:

  1. This is awesome! I especially love your author biography... sweetest thing ever. In the past year or so I've spent a lot of time scanning my family's photos (from my grandparents through my teenage years) and digitizing VHS home videos. So time-consuming, but so rewarding too!

    I especially liked an illustration I did from a class cookbook in 2nd grade. It was my Mom's stuffed shell recipe, and I drew a pasta dish and a little rigatoni running away from it yelling, "I'm stuffed!" It's hard to believe sometimes we were so little once.

    adventuresinaubreyland.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. You guys are so. dang. cute.

    My goodness I loved all of this. That picture of you with the big Sloane bow in your hair? Amazing. And isn't Miles just a creative guy, eh?

    I believe those long essays of repetitious standards (I'm familiar. I may or may not have some experience) is amazing. I can't wait to save and cherish things like that for B to sift through when he's grown.

    13th place. Yay, Caroline! Way to overachieve. ;)

    I am not sure I would've even placed... even if I were in the final lane. I would've been disqualified for time or something. I suck at swimming.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Adorable. Although, you did rain on my parade with the swimming comment. I've spent the past 9 years thinking it was pretty impressive that I was assigned to the advanced swimming class.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Haha. I love looking back at things like this! So fun! Love the 13th place ribbon and the classy wallpaper chosen for Miles' drawing. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Awesome!
    The Little Mermaid was the bomb and Jared and Miles were quite the little artists!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ah, brings me back to ice skating class.
    Don't you love those awesome 80s outfits? You look so darn adorable! And boy does little Miles=Finn! What a fun little trip down memory lane:)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Now this seriously brings back memories! Ah, the sticker collection. I was actually talking to Greg about collecting stickers the other day and he just doesn't understand the concept.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I want you to put Miles's self portrait and "I will refrain from uncouth behavior" in a double frame on display. You guys are the cutest. Congrats on 10th and 13th place. I'm sure you rocked swim team. Reminds me of my own (brief) swim team career...

    ReplyDelete
  9. 13th place! Amazing!!! :)

    You guys were both such cute kiddos!

    ReplyDelete